Moving is not that easy, the actual day of moving can be very stressful most especially if something goes wrong. As much as possible, you want your moving day to be as smooth sailing. The last thing that you want to worry about is a lost truck driver or your kid having tantrums while on the road. Below are tips that can help ensure the continuous flow of the actual day of the moving.
1. The earlier you begin, the better. This is not just an early bird catches early worm thing, it has something to do with your alertness and preparedness. The last thing that you want is to hurry and cram when the movers are at the door. If you start your moving day early, you will have a lot of time to organize and re-check everything prior to the mover’s arrival.
2. If you have kids or pets, hire sitters to look after them. The actual moving day is the day when your full attention is needed. If you’re attention is divide, you might end up overlooking or leaving behind something.
3. Do not underestimate the power of food. Whether you have professional movers or just family and friends helping you out, prepare a little something for the stomach. Simple food such as donuts, orange juice, bagels or anything that can easily be prepared and digested are your best options.
4. Contact numbers are very important. Make it a point to get the driver’s mobile number as well as give your mobile number to the driver. The easier for you to communicate, the smoother the trip will be. Should you or the driver end up lost, you can always coordinate and get back on the right track.
5. You need to be very clear about giving instructions when it comes to direction. GPS can help a lot but if you have a back up plan like a map, you can be sure that nothing will go wrong.
6. If you are dealing with moving company, you need to prepare the full payment ahead. Most of the time, these movers won’t unpack a single thing unless you pay in full and in cash.
After unpacking, make sure to check valuables. If there are broken stuff and damaged items due to mishandling, be sure to report it immediately to the person in charge. Better yet, get a moving insurance that way, you do not only proceed smoothly on your moving day, you also have peace of mind should something go wrong.